Spray Painting a Chandelier
When J & I first went to look at the house we now live in, one of the first things he said was "that ugly chandelier has got to go". I held my tongue, knowing full-well that I was going to fight to keep it...but later. I've wanted a chandelier in our dining room for a long time. It was never a possibility in our apartment, and I wasn't willing to discount something just because it was ugly. Sure, it looked like it had been plucked from the 70s. The bulbs were blackened from age. But i had a feeling it could be restored to look more modern and beautiful.
First I removed the faux wax catcher (not pictured because I hated them and got impatient and removed them in a hurry) and then cleaned the whole thing. It had a thick layer of dust that must have accumulated over many years. I then removed all the lightbulbs. I put a drop cloth on the floor and used a white enamel spray paint by Krylon (i used the leftovers on these pumpkins!) The tricky part was getting in all the little nooks and crannies. I accomplished this by continually turning it while i was spraying and checking it from all angles.
Things I wish I had known before starting this project:
- WEAR A MASK. I felt a little sick the rest of the day after completing this project, because I was spraying up and probably inhaling way more than is healthy.
- Don't spray the very bottom tip until the very end. Use this piece to hold onto to spin the chandelier as you spray- I didn't and ended up accidentally grabbing on to arms that were still wet and had to respray them.
- Tape off the ceiling around the plate that's attached. Again, I didn't. Luckily, the paint color I used ended up blending just fine and you can't tell.
I may end up adding some crystals to make it a little more of a statement piece. I'll update this post when I do. Look out for my Dining Room Makeover reveal coming soon!