Superhero Cityscape Mural
I promised in my post about our little guy's Modge Podge Comic Book Dresser that I'd be doing the big reveal of his room soon, and I WILL, I promise! But, before I do I wanted to show you all the DIY projects that went into it.
Ev's at that age where his interest change weekly. There's always something new and different that I don't quite get but all the kids are talking about. Right now, he's all about Pokemon cards. My brother loved those when he was Evan's age, but man, that was 15 years ago! I gotta kinda hand it to the Pokemon franchise for sustaining popularity for so long...good for you, Pokemon. He's also super into Minecraft, which I don't even pretend to understand. Plus, since the new Star Wars movie came out, he's become quite the Star Warian (?) too. The one thing that he has consistently liked since he was a little bitty thing, is Super Heroes. In fact, here he is at about a year old dressed up as Jack Jack from the Incredibles *cue the heart eyes emojis*.
So when we moved, I knew I wanted to do a Super Hero themed room, but I wanted to make it an easy transition in case he does grow out of it. So when we saw his new room for the first time, I knew I had to do something major with this giant blank wall... so I created a cityscape mural.
You can see in the first picture that I must've yelled something like, "WAIT! NO! STOP! I need to get a before picture!" right as J started to paint the wall. The paint color is "Narragansett Navy" by Sherwin Williams. I love it because it seems like the perfect nighttime-sky-lit-only-by-city-lights kinda blue. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this white masking tape from the dollar store seemed to work even better at creating clean lines than the blue painter's tape that we had used on other parts of the house (trust me: I was terrified to lift that tape off.). I created the cityscape at random as I went along. It was very much a "hey maybe this would be an apartment building" and "right next to it is a multi-level department store" followed by "I bet this would be a good place for the bank" and by the time I was done, I stepped back and thought "yep. I'd live there". After it was all taped off, I made J assure me about 100 times that it was perfect, before filling it all in with black paint ("Totally Black" by Behr). I had read somewhere that to create the cleanest lines, you should remove the tape before it's completely dry- I don't know the science behind that, but hey...it worked!
Next was the windows. My first attempt was to actually tape off each individual window, but after doing one, I quickly realized that would not only take forever, but it would be nearly impossible to keep them all uniform. So, instead, I took a sponge, cut it into a perfect square, applied yellow paint ("Golden Spell" by Valspar) and pressed it onto the building. It probably would have looked fine just like that, but I decided to then take a small paint brush and fill in the natural spots that the sponge missed. I did the windows at random as well, and tried to think about the fact that not everyone would be home or every business would be lit up at the same time.
The final touch was the bridge. You can see in the above photos how I taped it off to create it. I won't lie though. I'm not in love with it. I decided to leave it alone for a while and come back to it, but I'm really leaning towards painting over it and instead sticking on a black bridge silhouette vinyl decal on there. I may have found one on Amazon, but I'll keep you posted!
Overall, I'm super happy with how it came out. When Ev saw it for the first time, he pretended to faint, so I guess I'll take that as a compliment. It wasn't nearly as hard as I was expecting it to be and I'd definitely to it again. It's made me much less afraid to attempt line work projects... maybe I'll have to add a striped wall somewhere in our new house.....we'll see ;)