How I Updated My Kitchen for Under $400
Back in October, I announced that we were moving to a house nearly double the size of our little apartment that we lived in for nearly 5 years. You've seen the huge overhauls I've done of our living room and the kiddo's room. Which is why you're probably going to fall over at what I'm about to say next.....
we're moving again.
No, I'm not kidding, but I promise you, it's a good thing. We took on our current house as a bit of an experiment. It was never meant to be a permanent placement, but it was the perfect place to spend the last 6 months while we waited to buy our own house...WHICH WE DID! & we close escrow in 11 days. AHHH! I'm so excited and I can't wait to take you all along with me. I already have some super cool DIYs in mind. However, before we get to that, I realized that I never showed you my kitchen!
The kitchen in this house is OUTDATED. Like, hella outdated. Like, it may contain the first stove ever created. I'm exaggerating, but it's pretty bad. From the pink blinds, to the pink grout, to the builder grade cabinets, it was a pretty big eyesore. Now, while we were given permission to make any changes to the house that we wanted, it still didn't make a lot of sense for us to take on an entire kitchen renovation as renters.
The first thing we did, was paint the cabinets, using Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations kit in pure white. It took us about 3 days of work. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Am I going to....yes. Stay tuned ;).
I absolutely hated the tile countertops. Like, with every fiber of my being. It was ugly, it was cracked in places, and it made me want to smash things. It's a little hard to tell in this photo, but the tiles are grey and the grout is pink. It was just all around awful. I definitely wasn't prepared to instal a whole new countertop, so instead.....I used contact paper.
I used 7 rolls of this Marble Look Contact Paper which is $27 per roll. What was surprising to me was how little comes on each roll. To give you an idea of what I mean, the photo above is one entire roll....yeah. That was annoying. It was way harder and more time consuming than I thought it would be, but it was a perfect temporary solution. After having lived with it for 6 months, there has been no wear, no lifting, and it gets a thorough wipe down everyday.
I also threw some stainless steel contact paper on the dishwasher just to try to break up the white. Between the newly white cabinets and the white appliances, it started to feel a little stark. I was surprised at how seamless it came out and how oddly natural it looked. It was a great little upgrade while I waited to have my own stainless steel appliances that I've been wanting for years.....AND I FINALLY HAVE THEM in the new house. Can't wait for you to see!
It's a little sad to be leaving this house after having sank so much work into it over such a short period of time. But, I don't regret a second of it. We had Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas here and the work we put in allowed for it to be cozy and comfy and presentable enough to have our friends and family over. Had we stayed a little longer, I had planned to add pretty hardware pulls to all the cabinets and drawers and replace those awful pink blinds. It's on to greener pastures now, but I'm so glad I took on these projects. They were great practice for what's to come!